call for submissions
NEW CANADIAN PLAYS
Now in its third season, The Coal Mine is seeking submissions of new Canadian plays for their upcoming 2017/18 season.
The Coal Mine is an independent theatre in Toronto's east end, founded by Chief Engineers Diana Bentley and Ted Dykstra. As our first two seasons demonstrated we are determined to present superbly written, richly thoughtful, and fearlessly challenging plays produced, directed and acted at the highest possible level. With only 80 seats a night, The Coal Mine is inspired by the intimacy and excitement of the Off-Off-Broadway experience.
We are looking for well-written literary works with engaging dialogue, interesting characters, and strong themes that incite discussion and analysis. We encourage you to look at our past seasons for a sense of what The Coal Mine produces when considering your submission.
Should your play be selected, we will contact you about next steps, including what you need in terms of development towards a full production.
We ask that playwrights submit only one play for consideration.
We welcome submissions that meet the following criteria:
- the playwright must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- the play must be 90 to 100 minutes in length with no intermission
- We are looking for plays in English/English translations
- the play should not require more than 5 cast members
- the play cannot have received a professional production in Toronto
- if the play has been produced outside of Toronto, please detail its production history in your cover letter
The Coal Mine is committed to equity and inclusion. We encourage submissions from artists of all genders, ethnicities and abilities.
In order to be considered, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A cover letter that includes a description of any development the play has received, information on past productions or workshops, and any other information you'd like us to know about the piece.
- manuscript (Word or PDF)
Hard copies will not be accepted at this time.
All submissions must be received by December 1st, 2016.
You will receive an email response in February 2017.
Please direct any questions about the above criteria to
Melissa D’Agostino, Associate Producer
Thank-you for your interest; we look forward to hearing from you!